Wednesday, February 9, 2011

News from Shanghai

So, if you didn't know, one of my best friends, Lisa, moved to Shanghai, China for a year to teach English there with a program called "English First".

We've been emailing quite regularly and use Skype or Google Chat to keep in contact. It's been fun hearing about all of her experiences in China and I felt compelled to share two of the images she shared with me today.


1st:
Lisa said that one of the weirdest cultural things she's encountered is that toddlers walking around the city of Shanghai wear these "split" open pants so that they can just squat and do their "business" whenever they need to, whether it's in the middle of the street, the sidewalk, or wherever! Can you even imagine?! Seeing all those little butt-cheeks out in plain view toddling down the street?! Oh my!

2nd:
The "Squatty Potty". OK, you have to look at the picture first to really see why it's disturbing!


So, I might be extra-grossed out because I already have a huge aversion to public rest-rooms, but this just seems WRONG. Lisa said that they are all over where she is and that in her school they do have Western "pedestal" toilets but that a lot of the students there are so used to this squatty style that they will stand on the pedestal toilet & squat over it! Oh, so gross. So, Lisa and I were giggling over how to even USE this, like do you take your pants ALL the way off?! Do you put your hands on the ground?! Oh my goodness. So, I googled it. I actually found some directions that made it seem less awful, but I'll just stick with my good old pedestal toilet and hope to never encounter one of these! Ick!!!

And that's all the fun from China for today. I just couldn't keep these little gems to myself! :)


No comments: